Chaperoning a trip no excuse for slip-ups!

I'm just back from a week in Hawaii. I had a fabulous week in the sun and sand as a chaperone for my daughter Rachel's high school band to attend a music festival. At the same time, I continued my personal focus on optimal health and a better me.

I packed my exercise bands and jump rope and started every day with exercise on the beach! The sunrise and sound of the surf brought a new dimension to my 4-3-2-1 workouts. It is transportable and effective everywhere we go!

My experience so far helped me to make healthy choices at the restaurants and watch portion control. I also packed my suitcase with NUTRILITE® meal bars, snack bars, and protein shakes to help fill the nutritional gaps of eating out. I journaled my food exchanges every day to help keep myself on track and on top.

I lost three pounds during my week in Hawaii, bringing my total weight loss to 18 pounds! I feel great physically. Emotionally, I am very confident in how I look and thrilled with my accomplishments. The last morning in Hawaii I went running for the first time since last summer. I have a goal to run the Anchorage American Heart Association Heart Run (5K) on April 24 just before we meet back up in California for the end of the A New Way to a New You 12 week wrap-up. It's time to get ready and no better place to run than in Honolulu. I ran four miles! I am so excited. A year ago I primarily walked the 5K and this year I'm in position to run the whole race.

So what is crystal clear to me now? Optimal health depends on diet AND exercise. I've lost weight before but I've never built strength and muscle like I have with the balanced approach of 4-3-2-1 exercise.

Also, I've learned that 1,500 calories a day is quite a bit when you're eating REAL food and not empty calories! Whole grains, fruits and vegetables will really fill you up. The right balance of protein, dairy and 'good' fats will keep you satisfied.

2 comments:

Julianne Downes, RD said...

way to go Lisa you thought ahead and it paid off

can't wait to hear about the results of the 5 K race at the end of April

keep fueling --

landll said...

I finished the 5K without stopping! I am so thrilled! My time was 29min 36sec.